what are included?
Luxury, Surf Charter Boat stocked to the gills, a highly experienced surf guide/professional photographer, 2 DVD’s full of photos of your trip, full catering, airport/hotel transfers, gourmet cuisine, soft drinks, juices, beer, fishing gear, tender, high quality TV & video equipment in in the saloon, full air conditioning throughout the interior and in each individual cabin, a well stocked refrigerator, freezer, ice maker, a well equipped galley, and room to relax and hang out in style.
These surf charter trips are all inclusive and includes the following:
- Airport transfers to/from Padang Airport with boards
- Full catering, soft drinks, snacks, juices, and sodas
- Use of onboard equipment
- Use of tender for photograph, snorkeling and fishing.
- 1 case of beer per person (24 cans) – extra beer available upon request
- Access to the best waves in the world with an accomplished surf guide
- Professional Photographer photographing all of your sessions, and sending you home with 2 DVD’s full of all your best surfing photos, scenic, and lifestyle photos from the trip.
Our staff photographers web sites:
- Sebastian ( Instgram )
What’s not included in the package?
US$ 90 Mentawai Government retribution fee (The Mentawai Government may raise this retribution fee at any time with no prior notice).
Wine and spirits are available at an additional cost upon request at the time you pay for your trip.
Tipping the crew is not mandatory but appreciated – the suggested tip is 10% of the cost of each persons charter prices and is distributed evenly among the crew members.
packing for a surf trip
The best advice when packing for a surf trip is to pack as light as possible. This fundamental rule of travel is especially true on a surf charter through the Mentawai Islands- when most of your time is spent in the water.The following list is divided into two categories: In the Water and Out of the Water. It was created to give you ideas and help you keep track of items you may or may not need to bring on your next Mentawai surf adventure.
In the Water
- big wave leash (2)
- boardshorts (2)
- fin keys (3)
- fin sets
- helmet (optional)
- leashes (4)
- leash teathers
- long sleeve rash guard (optional)
- reef booties (optional)
- short sleeve rash guard (optional)
- snorkeling gear (optional. SKM boats do not carry snorkeling gear for our guests do to sanitary reasons – please bring your own if you’d like to snorkel)
- surf hat (optional)
- tropical surf wax
- wax comb
Out of the Water
- airline tickets (and a copy)
- cash (crisp, new bills)
- credit cards
- deodorant (optional)
- ding repair kit / sun cure resin
- electricity adaptor (optional)
- long sleeve t-shirt
- moisturizer (optional)
- multi-board travel bag
- nail clippers (optional)
- pain medicine (optional)
- pants (1)
- passport (and a copy)
- prescription medicine (optional)
- shaving kit
- shorts (2)
- socks (3)
- still camera
- sun hat (optional)
- towel (bath)
- t-shirts (3-4)
- travel backpack
- visa (if necessary) (and a copy)
- waterproof jacket (optional)
* The most important thing to remember on this list is to make sure that you have an updated passport and a valid visa if your passport is issued in an obscure country like Sweden. You will not be permitted to enter Indonesia if your passport is going to expire within six months of your departure or if you are from a country that requires a special visa to enter. Most people can take care of their visa upon entering Indonesia including citizens of the United States and Australia but before you purchase your airline toickets please check with your local authorities to make sure you’re covered. If you have additional questions related to packing or traveling throughout the Mentawai Islands please visit our Travel Information section where you can download this list and basically all of the other information on this site as well. Of course if you have any specific questions about packing we are alwyas available to help answer your questions via e-mail or toll free in the United States at (760) 880 – 5078.
arriving in Padang
The following information is designed to give you a quick, visual insight into what happens between your arrival at the airport and when you get on your surf charter boat. Please refer to the images on the left to help guide you through the transfer process. We’re sure you’ll find the people of Padang and our ground staff to be as friendly and accomodating as anywhere else in the world.
- Your flight arrives. Once your flight touches down you are ushered to the baggage claim/customs area.
- Visa fees. For most countrys there are not visa fees for stay under 30 days in Indonesia (Please check your local embassy for more info)
- Customs. The fastest and easiest way to make it out of the customs area without having them go through your bags is to get a porter to handle your baggage. They seem to have the right connections because they can get you out of that room as fast as possible, all you have to do is have dollars ready to tip them. Pay careful attention to the porter that carries your bags, the general rule of thumb is to not give them the tip until your boards are loaded on the truck and your bags are stored away where they belong. The maximum tip per guest should be no more than US$ 2, although they may ask you for more, please do not give it to them!
- Meet and Greet. Once you’ve made it outside the customs area you will be met by a representative from Saraina Koat Mentawai. The next thing you need to do is get outside and into the air conditioned cars that are waiting for you.
- The Ride. Once you’ve made it outside and witnessed the hustle and bustle of Padang International Airport you’re ready to get in one of our minivans and get taken to the boat. Before you leave the airport parking lot do a quick spot check to make sure all of your luggage has made it on to the designated transport vehicles. If your boat leaves that afternoon you will be taken straight to the harbor – if you have an overnight stay you will be taken to the Bumiminang Hotel where we will have a reservation made for you.
- The Harbor. Once you’ve gone straight to the harbor from the airport or from the Bumi you finally get a chance to see the majestic Indian Ocean and your surf charter boat.
- Time to leave. You’ve waited long enough! Most trips will take off for the overnight haul out to the Mentawai’s very late in the afternoon. The crossing will take about 8 hours for everyone because travelling at night requires the boats to go slower. As you settle into your cabins and try to fall asleep you can be content with the fact that the next morning you will be having your first session of the trip and all of the time and effort required to get there will pay off the second you catch that first wave.